Sunday, July 27, 2014

Canada, Eh?

Well, I'm finally here in the Great White North. Is that what they call it? I have no clue.
 
I got here a week ago today, and that's still crazy to me! Especially since everyone here still speaks English! That's making it harder to learn Spanish for sure, but the branch members tell me I'll be picking it up in no time. I'm countin on that because I really can't understand a word anyone says. Especially when they get really excited and start talking really fast over each other. But despite that, this is the most loving and fun branch I have ever seen. Sadly, there's only about 30 members in the branch and they're constantly on the verge of being joined with the English ward. They've gone back and forth 3 times in the last 5 years I think, but that's what we're here for!
 
 Tuesday when we came out here, we ended up just knocking doors. We've done that a lot actually. Apparently Kitchener (the area I'm in) is pretty slow. I just feel like it has to have untapped potential somewhere right??? We met a few English people who seem really cool, but overall, this past week we haven't found any new Spanish investigators. So does anyone have advice on how to find Spanish people in an English area?????
 
I can never remember what went on any earlier than 3 days ago, so we'll start around there. One nice thing about this branch is that they LOVE to feed the missionaries. Even thought they're so small, we have a dinner appointment most nights. And usually it's with the same people over and over because EVERYONE is realated in this branch, so we'll have dinner with the same people a lot when they invite their families. We get the best food though! Hamburgers, Ribs, Pizza! It's heaven!! Especially since meat here is SO expensive! It's like $5/lb! I need Carol and Grandma to come do my shopping for me!
 
Saturday, we got to go do a cool service activity. Our branch brought and prepared all the food for a homeless shelter. They made beans and rice (I can't remember what it's called but it's when you make them together and then fry it and it's something about them being married. It starts with a C.. Anyone know?) I didn't understand most of it besides, "Hermana Hoffman! Lechuga!" so I got to cut up lettuce for most of the time. That and "Tomate!" See look, I already know all the Spanish I need to!
 
Yesterday we had church and you know your branch is small when you play the piano, lead the music and get to bear your testimony all on the same day! Oh! And Presidente Palacios has this thing where all the missionaries have to have super straight backs. He'd catch my eye during sacrament meeting a lot and glare at me to make me sit up straight. Haha, he's hilarious! And their family adopted the most adorable two Eskimo girls! I love them!!!
 
We also had to teach the Gospel Principles class yesterday because Hermana Juarez was sick. In other words, we started the conversation and the whole 4 members in the class just told stories about when they had or hadn't been honest before. I couldn't really understand them so Hermana McKinlay and I just let em go at it. It was pretty great! I love how much Spanish people love to talk!!!
 
My companion is super nice! She's been here in Kitchener for 4 transfers, this is her third in a row, so she knows the area pretty well, which is good and bad. We have a lot of options crossed out because she either doesn't want to go there, or says that we've bothered them enough already. I don't think missionaries can bother people enough...
 
What else, what else? I had my first Tim Horton's donut this week! It was delicious! But it was still just a donut... Haha! I love our mission president, President Clayton! I'm excited to be out here and can't wait to get the work rolling even faster!
 
I love you all and thanks for all your support!!!!
 
Nos Vemos!
Hermana Hoffman

No comments:

Post a Comment